We will open several postdoctoral positions in the near future
Please drop us a line if you are interested and want to stay in the loop. We are looking for people with a strong background in maths and machine learning, and an intense interest in neuroscience. Specifically, we will focus on (GABAergic, codependent, and machine-learning inspired) synaptic plasticity, and modulated neural network dynamics. We are keen to hear from women and members of underrepresented groups in neuroscience.
Interested in a PhD? You can join our lab by applying to IST Austria
IST Austria is looking for highly qualified candidates to apply for its PhD program. The call for 2020 has already passed, and the next call will open in the Fall of 2020. The deadline for applications is Jan 8, 2021 (23:59 CET) for PhD entry in September 2021.
HOW DO I APPLY?
The application portal will be available in the Fall. To apply, you have to create an online account, which will allow you to track your application through its various stages. We do not accept applications and documents received outside of this system.
FULLY-FUNDED PHD POSITIONS
Fully-funded PhD positions are offered in the natural and mathematical sciences in a world-class research environment on the outskirts of Vienna. For more information about the PhD program, please visit the PhD Program Overview page.
BACHELOR’S AND MASTER’S STUDENTS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY
Students with a bachelor’s or master’s degree in biology, neuroscience, mathematics, computer science, physics, and related areas are encouraged to apply. IST offers internationally competitive salaries, full health benefits, and subsidized on-campus housing in the first year.
WHAT APPLICATION MATERIALS ARE REQUIRED?
You will be asked to upload the following documents to the application portal:
- Statement of purpose that explains your research experience and your motivation for applying to the IST Austria PhD program. It should 1-2 pages maximum. In your statement, specify up to three research groups you find the most interesting. At this stage you do not need to contact potential supervisors.
- University transcripts and diplomas of all degree programs and all years you have attended and/or are currently enrolled in (in English and in original language)
- Contact information of 3 referees
All documents have to be submitted in English and copies of university transcripts also in their original language.
WHAT ARE THE SELECTION CRITERIA?
The selection committee uses a collection of indicators to evaluate the applicant’s preparedness, motivation, and potential. The following will be considered:
- undergraduate performance: overall, with a special focus on relevant field-specific courses
- reference letters provided by professors and senior scientists: one letter from industry is acceptable, but letters from an academic background are given priority; referees are asked to address analytical capabilities, technical proficiency, ability to work independently and motivation/commitment;
- statement of purpose: the applicant’s past research experience and motivation for applying to this particular PhD program: is it a good academic fit? does the program contribute to the candidate’s future career plans?, etc.;
- additional relevant skills (field-specific): demonstrated in, e.g., internships and/or participation in research projects, participation in science Olympiads, programming languages, lab techniques, etc.
- quality of the undergraduate background, i.e. quality of the institution attended
- transferable skills: e.g. communication skills, experience with working in teams, previous mobility and international experiences, leadership experience as demonstrated in student organizations, etc.;
- diversity: e.g. a woman in computer science/math/physics; an applicant who switched fields, etc.;
DOWNLOAD BROCHURES & POSTERS
You can also obtain an overview of the IST Austria PhD program from the “The PhD Experience” brochure.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
For more information about the application process and PhD admissions, please read the FAQ page.